Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I found the basic recipe in the 2009 edition of Taste of Home Quick Cooking Cookbook. The original recipe was sent to them by Helena Ivy of St.Louis, Missouri. Her recipe used short ribs and mushrooms, and mine uses carrots and country style boneless beef ribs.I also used golden mushroom soup instead of cream of mushroom.The amount of pepper used is strictly up to you. As with most crockpots cooking times will vary, so adjust accordingly.I served this over mashed potatoes, but I'm sure either rice or noodles would also be good.Submitted to " ZAAR " on January 15th, 2010
Top Review by Papa D 1946-2012
I have used boneless beef ribs before as stew meat so I know they have good flavor. I made this as written with one adjustment, I used a bottle of dark ale in place of the water as I wanted plenty of gravy. To make this again I will brown the ribs first and eliminate the thyme and add a bay leaf instead, but that's just a personal preference. This is a great crock pot recipe. Thanks for posting!
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 4 lbs country style boneless beef ribs
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed golden mushroom soup
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (7/8 ounce) envelope brown gravy mix
- 1 teaspoon mince garlic
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
Directions See How It's Made
- Place onions and carrots on bottom of crockpot.
- Top vegetables with ribs, and sprinkle pepper evenly over the ribs.
- In a medium bowl combine soup,1 /2 cup water, brown gravy mix,garlic, and thyme;pour over ribs.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours. ( adjust cooking time to your own crockpot ).
- Remove meat to platter and keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices; transfer juices to a small pan, and bring to a boil.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 Tablespoons water until smooth.
- Gradually stir into meat juices, and bring to a boil.
- Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Serve with meat and mashed potatoes.