1/1 Photo of Hearty Country Meatloaf with Sour Cream Gravy
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This recipe appeared many years ago in Homemakers Magazine and since the first time I made it, it has become a family favourite. My daughter hates mushrooms, so I especially like the fact that I can chop them up finely and sneak them into the mixture and she is none the wiser! The cold leftovers make great sandwiches.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices white bread
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup chopped mushroom
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- 3 slices bacon
- chopped fresh parsley (to garnish)
Sour Cream Gravy
- 1Tear the bread into small pieces and soak in a large mixing bowl with the milk while you prepare the rest of the loaf.
- 2Melt the butter in a small skillet and saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until soft, about 3 minutes.
- 3Let cool.
- 4Mix the vegetables and meat into the bread mixture with your hands.
- 5Add the eggs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, marjoram, thyme, salt and pepper; mix by hand in a circular motion.
- 6Form into a free-form 9" x 5" loaf.
- 7Drape with the bacon and place on a greased rack in a broiler pan.
- 8Bake in a preheated 375 degree F oven for about 1 hour and 15 to 30 minutes, or until browned and meat is cooked through.
- 9Lift off the rack and keep warm while making the gravy.
- 10Pour 1/4 cup of the pan drippings into a small saucepan.
- 11Stir flour into the drippings until smooth.
- 12Cook, stirring, over medium heat 3 minutes.
- 13Gradually stir in the stock and bring to a boil.
- 14Reduce the heat and cook until thickened.
- 15Stir in the sour cream; heat through but do not boil.
- 16Season with salt and pepper.
- 17Transfer to a heated sauce boat and sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Country Meatloaf with Sour Cream Gravy
Serving Size: 1 (256 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 480.4
- Calories from Fat 324
- Total Fat 36.0 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 162.5 mg
- Sodium 433.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 26.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: