Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Luscious, thick chowder is guaranteed to feed the chilled and starved at your table.
Make and share this Hearty Clam Chowder recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices low-fat bacon, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced small
- 2 carrots, diced small
- 3 stalks green onions, chopped
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 3 (4 ounce) cans minced clams with juice
- 3 (8 ounce) cans evaporated milk
- 4 drops Tabasco sauce
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dill weed
- In heavy pot (dutch oven) saute bacon until almost crispy.
- Remove bacon and set aside leaving bacon drippings in pan.
- Add all vegetables in bacon drippings with clam juice, Tabasco sauce and 1/2 cup water simmering until vegies are soft, but firm, not mushy.
- Add small amounts of water to keep vegies from scorching if needed.
- Gently stir in clams.
- Turn heat down very low so milk will not scorch.
- Slowly pour in evaporated milk, gently stirring all ingredients together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste as well as dill weed.
- Simmer until all ingredients are warm, being careful not to scorch milk.
- Enjoy with warm corn bread and fresh fruit.