- 100 g smoked bacon, chopped (or pancettaor finely diced)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 2 stalks celery
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 250 g chickpeas, washed and drained (from a 400 g can)
- 240 g pinto beans, washed and drained (from a 400 g can)
- 800 ml vegetable stock (from 1 vegetable cube)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry slowly the bacon in olive oil on medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until crispy.
- Add the onion and garlic, sauté for 2-3 minutes.
- Cut carrots and celery sticks into smaller pieces and chop in a blender. Add to the bacon and onion, stir and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the chickpeas, beans, dried thyme and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and hunks of bread.