Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very healthy and colorful soup from Prevention.
Make and share this Hearty Chickpea Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger or 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 1 pinch saffron (optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14 ounce) canpeeled chopped tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- lemon wedge, to garnish
- Heat oil on medium heat in a medium saucepan. Saute celery, carrot, onion and garlic together for 3-5 minutes. Add cinnamon, turmeric, ginger and saffron, if desired. Cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Add broth, chickpeas, and tomatoes (with juice). Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook partially covered, 25 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in spinach and cook until wilted.
- Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.