Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Found this hearty chicken stew recipe years ago in an AARP magazine article and have have made it many times for family and company, everyone always enjoys it as much as I do. Great for those cold winter nights
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 chicken, cut up
- 1 lb white mushroom, sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth (3 1/2 cups)
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 3⁄4-2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 4 large carrots, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 (8 1/2 ounce) can lima beans, drained
- 6 ounces dry-weight pitted black olives, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can white pearl onions, drained
- Fry bacon crisp, crumble and set aside.
- Brown chicken in bacon fat, then set aside.
- Add mushrooms and salt; sauté, stir for 3 minutes.
- Add parsley, garlic; sauté about 2 minutes.
- In a bowl blend together broth, tomato paste, wine and pepper.
- Place mushroom mixture into large skillet with cover.
- Add chicken, potatoes, carrots, lima beans, olives and onions.
- Cover and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cook for 1 1/2 hours.
- Turn chicken halfway through cooking.