Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Based off my Dad's basic soup recipe. I had a house full of sickies tonight so I whipped this up to try to soothe and heal. ;) The feedback from DH and kids was an overwhelming - YUMMY!! SO...I guess it is Zaar worthy. ***Note I made this with 8oz of star pasta and although fabulous, it did continue to swell through the evening. We just added broth to extend the soup for the next day's lunches/dinner. I have adjusted the recipe accordingly to reduce this, but just a note to be aware. ;)
- 1 roasting chicken, cut up
- 3 carrots (coined or diced)
- 3 zucchini, small to medium (chopped or diced)
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup walla walla onion, if available
- 1⁄2 cup white wine, whatever you have available (I used Alice White Chardonnay)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder, plus
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon luzianne's cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon mccormick's brand McCormick's Montreal Brand steak seasoning (dry seasoning)
- 5 ounces stelle pasta (star shaped or your favorite soup pasta)
- black pepper, to taste
- salt, to taste
- Fill a large pot 2/3 full with water and bring to a boil.
- Add chicken parts with 2 tsp garlic powder, salt and black pepper and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and separate chicken from broth with a strainer saving broth and placing back into large pot over medium-high heat.
- Allow chicken to cool while adding all veggies to broth and spices (adjust to your taste).
- Once cool enough, remove bones, skin and excess fat from chicken saving good meat for soup.
- Add to soup along with pasta and cook for 6-7 minutes (or as per package directions depending on your pasta).
- Serve with crusty bread and garnish with shredded 3 cheese blend (parmesean, romano, asagio) if desired.
- Enjoy! ;).
Excellent! My sons just love soup any time of the year and they raved about this one. It really filled them up. It has great flavor! Made for ZWT4 for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers.
Yum! We all have been having either a winter cough, sore throat or just getting over gastro problems in my household and this soup was just what we needed. I made your recipe in the crockpot so I changed a few of the steps. I used chicken liquid stock and powdered stock instead of water because I wasn't using on the bone chicken. I used chicken breast and cut it into bite size pieces. I think the soup would have been heaps better if I did use the roasted chicken on the bones but I didn't have any at home and I wanted to try your recipe. I filled the crockpot with 2/3 of the stock and added the chicken then cooked it for one and half hours on high. Then I added the vegetables and all the spices and cooked it for another 30 minutes. Lastly I added the pasta and had it cooking for 20 minutes, I had to use macaroni pasta as I couldn't find star shape ones in my region. However the star shape one would have been more fun for Little Miss (DD). Served the soup with yummy parmesan cheese and crusty bread. It was delicious dinner, Thank you Mommy Diva - *Made for Zaar World Tour 4* Crockpot challenge
This is a wonderfully flavored soup. I followed the directions exact, except I used orzo and added more chicken broth, personal preference. Thanks for sharing, I'll make this again. (Made for Bevy Tag Comfort Food)