Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Perricone Promise diet book.
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup uncooked whole oats or 1 cup barley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs diced cooked chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- chopped fresh parsley
- In a large stockpot or Dutch oven, bring the chicken broth to a boil. Add the oats or barley and thyme. Return the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to medium and simmer the soup, uncovered, until the oats are tender, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
- In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Sauté the onion, celery, scallions, and garlic over medium heat until translucent. Transfer the vegetables to the chicken broth.
- Add the chicken and simmer until heated through, thinning with additional broth if desired. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley and serve.