Recipe by Judy81350
This is soooooo good. Its great on a cold winter night. Good one dish sofa food while watching television. Enjoy with whatever biscuit, cornbread or roll you prefer. Eat up!
Top Review by Stylin'Dog
I wasn't sure if we would like this or not, but boy was it good! So comforting and really simple to throw together. I did a few things differently: I put the veg in to cook along with the chicken instead of after, and I added the flour to the whole quantity of milk instead of just a portion of it.Also used dried egg noodles instead of frozen. With so few seasonings I wasn't sure if it would be too bland, but it was just right! It's like chicken pot pie but without the fuss of making pie crust or biscuit topping, and with the added bonus of noodles! I love noodles! My husband and I both went back for seconds, and we had two portions left over for lunch, too. We dig it, and will surely make again.
- 12 ounces boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 cups water
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, snipped
- 2 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 (12 ounce) packagefrozen egg noodles
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- celery leaves
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Place chicken cubes, water, onion, celery leaves, parsley, bouillon, thyme, pepper, and bay leaf in a large Dutch oven. Bring to a boil then simmer for 20 minutes
- Add the noodles, carrots, and sliced celery. Return to boiling.
- Simmer covered for 20-25 minutes or until noodles are almost tender.
- Stir in 1 1/2 cups milk and peas.
- Combine 1/2 cup milk and the flour until smooth. Stir into noodle mixture. Cook and stir until thickened and bubbly.