Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe came from a bag of Pennsylvania Dutch Homestyle Noodles many years ago. The pimiento absolutely makes this recipe, so don't leave it out. Make a trip to the store and get them, they're near the olives and pickles.
- 1 lb egg noodles, cooked
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons diced pimentos
- 1 cup soft buttered bread crumb (optional)
- Cook noodles as package directs; drain.
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In large skillet, over medium heat, cook celery, green pepper and onion in margarine until tender.
- Stir in soup and milk then chicken, cheese and pimiento. Cook and stir until cheese melts.
- Remove from heat; stir in noodles.
- Spoon into greased 13x9 inch baking dish. top with crumbs.
- Bake uncovered 35 minutes or until hot and bubbly.
The only thing I did different was to use the cream of chicken with herbs. OK I added some mushrooms too. (sauted with the onions and peppers) BUT this is absolutely the best. Pimentos and green pepper make this dish! I've tried them all ...
Creamy, totally yummy comfort food, not waistline friendly. The men really enjoyed this tonight. I had a half of red pepper in the refrigerator, so I diced this and added it into Step 3. So I skipped using the pimentos. Thanks for a filling meal for the men. Made for PAC Spring 2012