1/3 Photos of Hearty Chicken Gumbo
This is my own concoction and I'm sure not "politically correct", lol, but this is the way we like it. LOADED with chicken, vegetables, tomatoes and rice!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 cups chicken stock, from stewed chicken
- 1 large stewing chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 1 (28 ounce) can del monte stewed tomatoes, broken up with the juice
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can corn, with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) jar Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1/4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoon butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 lb Polish kielbasa, sliced on the bias
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1In large pot, stew chicken with bay leaf til done and tender.
- 2Remove chicken from pot, cool, remove meat and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
- 3Put meat in bowl and cover, set aside or refrigerate til needed later.
- 4Measure out 10-12 cups of stock from chicken and pour into clean pot.
- 5Bring stock to a boil and add celery, onions, potatoes, carrots, and okra. Cook til tender.
- 6Add chicken and rest of ingredients, and simmer 10-15 minutes over low heat.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Chicken Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (689 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 682.6
- Calories from Fat 282
- Total Fat 31.4 g
- Saturated Fat 9.4 g
- Cholesterol 104.4 mg
- Sodium 2330.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 66.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.1 g
- Sugars 22.7 g
- Protein 36.6 g