Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
This is my own concoction and I'm sure not "politically correct", lol, but this is the way we like it. LOADED with chicken, vegetables, tomatoes and rice!
- 12 cups chicken stock, from stewed chicken
- 1 large stewing chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 1 (28 ounce) candel monte stewed tomatoes, broken up with the juice
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can corn, with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) jar Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 lb Polish kielbasa, sliced on the bias
- 2 cups cooked rice
- In large pot, stew chicken with bay leaf til done and tender.
- Remove chicken from pot, cool, remove meat and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
- Put meat in bowl and cover, set aside or refrigerate til needed later.
- Measure out 10-12 cups of stock from chicken and pour into clean pot.
- Bring stock to a boil and add celery, onions, potatoes, carrots, and okra. Cook til tender.
- Add chicken and rest of ingredients, and simmer 10-15 minutes over low heat.
This is a very tasty gumbo. Had to play around with the spices to get it to our liking, but very good. I didn't have a pan big enough to make the whole recipe so I used my 7-8 qt. crockpot and it was full to the brim. I made this to take to work, but then forgot to pack it up when I left. Makes a huge amount. Thanks for posting.