Recipe by Wildflour
This is my own concoction and I'm sure not "politically correct", lol, but this is the way we like it. LOADED with chicken, vegetables, tomatoes and rice!
Top Review by ~Nimz~
This is a very tasty gumbo. Had to play around with the spices to get it to our liking, but very good. I didn't have a pan big enough to make the whole recipe so I used my 7-8 qt. crockpot and it was full to the brim. I made this to take to work, but then forgot to pack it up when I left. Makes a huge amount. Thanks for posting.
- 12 cups chicken stock, from stewed chicken
- 1 large stewing chicken
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups diced potatoes
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups sliced fresh okra
- 1 (28 ounce) candel monte stewed tomatoes, broken up with the juice
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1 (10 ounce) can corn, with juice
- 1 (10 ounce) jar Green Giant sliced mushrooms, drained
- 4 tablespoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter
- 1 (14 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 lb Polish kielbasa, sliced on the bias
- 2 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- In large pot, stew chicken with bay leaf til done and tender.
- Remove chicken from pot, cool, remove meat and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
- Put meat in bowl and cover, set aside or refrigerate til needed later.
- Measure out 10-12 cups of stock from chicken and pour into clean pot.
- Bring stock to a boil and add celery, onions, potatoes, carrots, and okra. Cook til tender.
- Add chicken and rest of ingredients, and simmer 10-15 minutes over low heat.