Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
Ideal for a cold winters day, this dish can warm up a family at dinnertime or be the main course for a cozy, romantic evening for two. Either way, it's tasty, nutritious and filling. Bon appetit!
- 2 ounces fresh butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mixed herbs
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 large part-boned chicken breasts
- 10 streaky bacon, slices
- 6 large potatoes
- 1 cup 40 button mushroom
- 1 cup 40 pickling onions (or other very small)
- Melt the butter with the olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat and mix in the thyme, herbs and pepper.
- Chop the rashers roughly and add to the pan. When the rashers start to exude fat and brown remove them and save.
- Add the chicken breasts to the pan ensuring they get well browned and semi-cooked. Remove them and place them in the bottom of a large casserole dish.
- Peel and slice 4 of the potatoes roughly into discs about 1cm thick. Brown them on both sides in the pan and remove them. Encircle the chicken breasts with them.
- After peeling the onions and washing the mushrooms add them to the pan for a couple of minutes to soak up some of the juice. Add the bacon back in and stir about for a minute or so. Pour the contents of the pan over the chicken and potatoes in the casserole dish, cover and place in a low to medium oven for about 80 minutes.
- While cooking, peel, dice, boil and mash the remaining 2 potatoes.
- Heat 4 dinner plates. Create a bed of mashed potato in the middle of each and place a chicken breast on it. Encircle the plate with potato discs then spoon the bacon, onion, mushroom & juice mix over the chicken and serve. Voila!