Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
A hearty main course from Southern Living magazine--great over pasta with a Caesar salad.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs chicken pieces
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 (16 ounce) package linguine, cooked
- Sprinkle chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Brown the chicken pieces in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat; remove chicken, and set aside.
- Add onion to the skillet and saute 5 minutes over medium heat, or until transparent.
- Add minced garlic, saute 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and chicken broth.
- Add bell pepper, oregano, basil, and remaining salt and pepper.
- Return chicken to skillet; cover and simmer over medium-low heat 45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Add mushrooms and wine; cook, uncovered, 40 minutes.
- Serve with hot cooked linguine.
VERY VERY GOOD, The best Chicken Cacciatore that I have ever made. I served it with Rice, as we had, had pasta several times lately, It was very good with rice. Thank you Sharlene for sharing the recipe.
This is a fabulous (and very hearty) sauce. I used it on angel hair pasta, cuz I didnt have any linguini. In step 7 I actually only cooked it for about 20 minutes, and then the other I did for the full 40. I only used 1/2 cup red wine, and it was delish! THanks so much!!
Very good recipe. I added 1 tsp of crushed red pepper to the recipe since I like my food spicy. Mmm mmm delicious