1/2 Photos of Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Soup
1 hr 10 mins
This is the perfect winter warming soup...thick and hardy, a stick to your ribs meal when served with some crusty bread.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 leek, halved, washed, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large carrot, peeled, diced
- 2 sticks celery, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- 1 swede or 1 potato, peeled, diced
- 1 1/4 cups dry soup mix, rinsed (I used a mix of green and yellow split peas and red lentils)
- 8 cups chicken stock (can use a good quality powder)
- 1 kg skinless chicken legs
- 1Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add leek and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until soft but not coloured.
- 2Add carrot, celery, zucchini and swede. Cook for 2 minutes.
- 3Stir in soup mix, stock, chicken and 1 cup cold water. Increase heat to high. Bring to the boil.
- 4Reduce heat to low. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or until soup mix and vegetables are tender add a little more water/stock if required.
- 5Remove chicken legs from soup. Allow to cool slightly. Remove meat from bones.
- 6Roughly chop chicken meat and add to soup.
- 7Season with salt and pepper.
- 8Ladle soup into bowls. Serve.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Chicken and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (477 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.7
- Calories from Fat 134
- Total Fat 14.9 g
- Saturated Fat 3.3 g
- Cholesterol 142.9 mg
- Sodium 639.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 10.7 g
- Protein 43.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: