Recipe by WiGal
A quick and easy TOH recipe that makes uses of leftover cooked meat. I listed ham as the meat ingredient, b/c that is what I have fixed it with, but turkey, chicken, or beef would be good, too.
Top Review by twissis
Made as written for ZWT6 cuz my DH is on vacation, is a huge breakfast hound & I had just cooked a ham prior to the start of the Great Britain part of the Tour. It all seemed fated to me & the outcome was greedily enjoyed. I halved the recipe & did use the opt caraway seeds. Thx for sharing your tasty recipe w/us.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2⁄3 cup skim milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed (optional)
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded about 2 cups
- 6 slices whole wheat bread, toasted while making sauce
- 6 slices cooked ham
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, melt butter over medium high heat.
- Stir in flour to form a smooth paste.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook and stir until the mixture is smooth and thickened.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, mustard, caraway (optional), and pepper.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add the cheese; cook and stir over low heat until melted.
- Cut toast diagonally and place on individual plates.
- Top each with a slice of meat.
- Spoon cheese sauce over the meat and toast.
- Serve immediately.