Recipe by vitaminz
A creamy white soup with a secret ingredient blended in: cottage cheese! Lots of protein, vitamins and fiber, lower on the fat, but you'd never know. A final touch of tender steamed kale adds beauty and rich flavor.
- 1 head cauliflower
- 2 -3 small waxy potatoes (redskins or yukon gold)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 quart chicken broth (I like pacific brand) or 1 quart vegetable broth (I like pacific brand)
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried tarragon
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder (optional) or 1 teaspoon brewer's yeast (optional)
- salt and pepper
- 16 ounces cottage cheese
- 2⁄3 cup half-and-half (optional)
- 1 bunch of dinosaur kale
Directions See How It's Made
- In a soup pot, saute the diced onion in butter or margarine until translucent and starting to brown.
- Add thyme, tarragon, and bay leaf and saute for another minute. (If you can't live without garlic, add some here.).
- Pour in the broth and bring to a boil. While that's heating up, peel and dice the potatoes.
- Add potatoes and boil for about five minutes. Meanwhile, chop up the cauliflower into small pieces.
- Add the cauliflower to the pot and add salt and pepper. Turn the soup down to a medium boil and cook until the cauliflower and potatoes are very very tender. (How long that takes depends on how small you chopped them -- I would recommend chopping pretty small pieces so that it's easier to blend).
- Meanwhile, rinse the kale, cut out the stalks, and cut cross-wise into thin ribbons. Bring a half-inch of water to a boil in a frying pan, salt the kale, and add it to the boiling water to steam until tender.
- When the soup veggies are soft, stir in the cottage cheese and the bullion powder if using.
- Blend it all up in the pot with an immersion blender. (You could also transfer the soup to the blender in batches, but don't blend too much at a time or hot soup will explode all over!) I like this soup smooth, but not super-smooth. It's up to you how chunky or smooth you like it.
- Add half&half, adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, ladle soup into bowls and add a big spoonful of steamed kale on top.