Recipe by Southern Lady
This is a super dish for a meat and potato night. This recipe was introduced to me 10 years ago by Opal Brown of Iowa at her family's gathering and I'm so grateful she shared it.
Top Review by fluffystew
One of our relatives brought this dish to dinner on Christmas day and everyone liked it so much I made it for New Year's Day - even those who don't like carrots asked for it. I used a little less butter because I was concerned they might be greasy. These are definitely NOT diet food carrots! Thanks for posting.
- 4 cups carrots, chopped or 4 cups baby carrots
- 1 cup Velveeta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 -3 cups potato chips, crushed
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 1/4" chopped carrot pieces for 5-6 minutes and drain (I've used baby carrots but the chopped turn out much better).
- Place evenly in an 8x10" oblong baking dish sprayed with Pam.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium low heat saute onion in butter until the onion becomes softened.
- Pour evenly over carrots in dish.
- Work the carrots until coated well on all sides.
- Chop Velveeta into small cubes and sprinkle over carrots.
- I've tried shredded cheddar and Cheese Whiz, Velveeta works best.
- Crush potato chips in a plastic bag and sprinkle over the top (more or less to your taste).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until done.