Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a super dish for a meat and potato night. This recipe was introduced to me 10 years ago by Opal Brown of Iowa at her family's gathering and I'm so grateful she shared it.
- Boil 1/4" chopped carrot pieces for 5-6 minutes and drain (I've used baby carrots but the chopped turn out much better).
- Place evenly in an 8x10" oblong baking dish sprayed with Pam.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Over medium low heat saute onion in butter until the onion becomes softened.
- Pour evenly over carrots in dish.
- Work the carrots until coated well on all sides.
- Chop Velveeta into small cubes and sprinkle over carrots.
- I've tried shredded cheddar and Cheese Whiz, Velveeta works best.
- Crush potato chips in a plastic bag and sprinkle over the top (more or less to your taste).
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until done.
One of our relatives brought this dish to dinner on Christmas day and everyone liked it so much I made it for New Year's Day - even those who don't like carrots asked for it. I used a little less butter because I was concerned they might be greasy. These are definitely NOT diet food carrots! Thanks for posting.