Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
A thick and hearty cabbage/potato soup which is just perfect for those cold winter nights.
Make and share this Hearty Cabbage Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 3 potatoes, peeled and thickly sliced
- 6 cups chicken stock, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Melt butter in saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion, celery, cabbage, salt, and pepper.
- Partly cover and cook for 10 minutes over a low heat.
- Add potatoes, chicken stock, and dill.
- Bring to a boil while stirring periodically.
- Boil, partly covered, for 20 minutes.
- Mix the flour with the sour cream in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 cup of the hot soup stock to bowl, mix well, and pour into soup.
- Mix well and serve.
Very good, and very easy! I knew it was a hit when my husband said "Next time we make this..." and suggested adding carrots for color. We didn't have dill, but it was delicious anyway. We'll definitely make this one again.
Absolutely loved this soup. Made it 3 times in the past 3 weeks! I made it as written 1st. The next times I doubled the cabbage, celery, potatoes, and sour cream, and also added kielbosa. I did as one review mentioned and threw it all in the pot without sauteing. Thank you for sharing such a simple and yummy soup!
Thank you for a wonderful soup! I did add some bacon that I fried up and used some of that grease instead of butter and added some diced red pepper, l carrot diced, and roasted garlic which I had in the fridge and needed to use. I did cut the dill down a little for DH and added some red pepper flakes for our tastes (we like a little zip). This is one recipe I will definately make again!