Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I came across this recipe when looking for interesting things to make with cabbage. If you skip the ham bone this makes a very filling meatless soup. Recipe source: Bon Appetit (February 1985)
- 1 ham bone
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 bunch celery, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 quarts chicken broth or 1 1⁄2 quarts stock
- 1 1⁄2 quarts water
- 1 (2 1/2 lb) cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 lb carrot, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces (or baby carrots left whole)
- 1 lb turnip, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 lb potato, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2⁄3 cup dried white bean, soaked overnight in water
- 2 turnips, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 parsley sprigs
- 1 sprig thyme (or 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme)
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 10 whole wheat bread, trimmed and toasted and cut in half
- 1⁄4 lb Roquefort cheese, crumbled
- Remove meat from ham bone, reserve bone. Cut meat into small pieces. Melt butter in a large soup pot or dutch oven over low heat. Add ham meat (if using), onions, celery and leeks. Cook for 20 minutes or until vegetables are soft. Add broth, water and ham bone (if using) and bring to a boil. Add cabbage. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add 1 pound carrots, 1 pound turnips and potatoes. Simmer one hour.
- Tie together with twine or put in a cheesecloth bag the parsley, thyme and bay leaf to make a bouquet garni.
- While soup is cooking, drain beans and transfer them to a medium saucepan with enough water to cover beans plus about 1 1/2 inches. Add two chopped turnips, 2 chopped carrots, garlic and the bouquet garni (parsley, thyme and bay leaf). Simmer for 1 1/2 hours or until beans are tender. Drain beans and discard bouquet garni. Add beans to soup and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve place two toast halves in each soup bowl, top with crumbled cheese and ladle soup over toast.
This made a nice soup which my family had with broiled trout and a salad. I did make a few changes, I used artificial ham seasoning, left out the turnips. I halved the recipe. Thaks Ellie!
I made this a week after EAster and it was great. I didnt make stock, then add more veggies to make soup, I just threw it all together at once. Great stuff. Also used canned beans added when almost done as I didnt have dried. Thanks!