Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
I am not sure where this recipe originally came from. It is the best breakfast casserole I have ever tried. I usually cook the sausage the night before and mix it with the cheeses and other ingredients so I have less work that morning. Be sure to put the hash browns in the frig the night before, as well, so they will be thawed.
- 1 (20 ounce) package frozen hash browns, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 3⁄4 cup monterey jack pepper cheese
- 3⁄4 cup swiss cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) package sausage, cooked and drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 6 eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 6 -8 slices tomatoes (thin slices)
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, cheddar cheese and oil.
- Mix well.
- Press mixture into a 9X13 dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes until golden brown; remove from oven.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine 1 tbsp parsley with the remaining ingredients except the tomato slices; mix well.
- Pour over potato crust.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until the eggs are set.
- Place the tomato slices over the casserole and top with remaining parsley.
- Bake 5 to 7 minutes longer.
This stuff was awesome!! It could maybe have used a little more milk and egg, but either way, I'll be making it again! I added about a half cup each of chopped onion and green pepper as well and then we served it with salsa. Mmmmmmmm!!
DELICIOUS! Thank you for submitting this recipe. I was looking for a breakfast casserole without bread & this one sure hit a home run. I have made this several times already & everyone has asked for the recipe. This is definately a keeper & a new family favorite.
Tried this out to serve at a brunch for 60. It was delicious and got rave reviews!!!<br/>I took Swan's advice the first time I made it. Awesome! Thank you Miss V for submitting this great recipe!