Prep 35 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is one of our favorites and fits well with a Nutritarian eating style. It was adapted from a recipe in "25 Vegetarian Soups" that I downloaded for my Kindle. It's a nice mixed vegetable soup with the broth thickened by blending half of the black beans with some of the broth. This makes a big batch and freezes well. You can reduce prep time by using frozen vegetables.....For each can of low sodium broth, I substitute 2 cups water, 1 tablespoon VegiZest (from drfuhrman.com) and 1/8 teaspoon salt (optional).
- 4 (15 ounce) cans low-sodium black beans, divided
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 3 (15 ounce) cans low sodium vegetable broth, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 6 mushrooms, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups frozen corn
- Puree 2 cans of beans, tomatoes and 1 can of broth and add to large soup pot (at least 6 quarts). I puree with an immersion blender right in the pot.
- Add remaining two cans of beans, two cans of broth and the rest of the ingredients to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, stirring frequently to prevent the bottom from sticking and burning.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.