Prep 20 mins
Cook 45 mins
This was copied from a library cookbook.
Make and share this Hearty Beef Vegetable Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 1⁄2 lb boneless beef roast
- 1 quart beef stock
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 carrots, peeled and chunked
- 3 celery ribs, cut in 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 small turnips, peeled and chunked
- 1 small cabbage, cut in 6 wedges
- 6 slices French bread, cut thin
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Trim beef of fat, thinly slice, and saute in a nonstick skillet over medium heat until lightly seared.
- Place in a large soup pot along with stock, bay leaf, and thyme.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Remove bay leaf.
- Pre-heat broiler.
- Ladle soup into 6 individual deep bowls.
- Top with French bread, sprinkle with 1/2 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Place under broiler to brown the cheese.
- Serve at once.