Recipe by DaHomeCooker
A hearty vegetable soup great for cooler weather A scratch recipe of my own creation. Makes great leftovers or to eat when ever - all day meal
Top Review by landlocked #2
This was very good. Actually even better the next day! The word hearty really does describe this, I would even classify it as a stew. When I make this the next time, I will not cook the veggies as long. I think 45 minutes total would probably work. I would simmer the beef, seasonings and bouillon for the same amount of time, but would not add the veggies and lentils until later. Because they ended up being too overcooked. But, with these changes I think think this would be a 5 star recipe! Thank you for sharing!
- 2 lbs beef round steak (diced)
- 1 cup onion (diced)
- 1 cup carrot (diced)
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup green beans (dice green beans) or 1 cup lima beans (dice green beans)
- 2 cups potatoes (diced)
- 1 cup lentils
- 8 cups water
- 8 beef bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons sage (ground)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stock pot on high heat, saut'e beef and onions in olive oil until beef is browned and onions are translucent.
- Add water and remaining ingredients.
- Let soup come to a medium boil then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Watch/ adjust heat until soup is just bubbling.
- Let soup simmer for 30 minutes stir and taste broth.
- Add additional spices as desired.
- Let soup simmer for an additional 60 minutes and check vegetable for doneness Reduce to low and keep warm until ready to serve.