Recipe by landlocked #2
I was making beef barley soup when I realized I didn't have any barley. I ended up substituting brown rice and potato for the barley. The end result was a delicious soup!
- 1 lb stewing beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 1⁄4 ounces onion soup mix
- 32 ounces reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 10 ounces squash, diced
- 1 cup carrot, diced
- 8 ounces green beans, frozen
- 2 medium potatoes, diced into 1/2 cubes
- 3⁄4 cup brown rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Add olive oil to large pot, brown beef.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add broth, tomatoes, onion soup mix, water and spices to pot. Simmer for at least 1 hour.
- Add vegetables and rice to pot. Add more water if needed. Note the squash will break down so that you don't notice it in the soup, it just makes the broth creamier. It is a great way to get your kids to eat more veggies without them knowing!
- Simmer an additional 1/2 hour to 40 minutes - until rice is cooked.