Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Another hearty stick-to-your bones soup. I like finding recipes like this because where I live winter is freezing, and we spend a lot of time out in our barn, so it's good to have hearty foods out in the cold.
- 2 lbs soup bones with meat or 2 lbs beef shanks or 2 lbs beef short ribs
- 6 cups water
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 5 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup medium pearl barley
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, undrained
- 1 -1 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Place soup bones and water in a soup kettle or Dutch oven.
- Slowly bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours. Set beef bones aside until cool enough to handle.
- Remove meat from bones; discard bones and return meat to broth.
- Add the potatoes, carrots, onion, barley, tomatoes, salt, pepper, garlic, and bay leaf.
- Cover and simmer for 50 - 60 minutes or until vegetables and barley are tender. discard bay leaf.
- Combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth; stir into stew.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.