Recipe by mermaidmagic
My husband's favorite beef stew. Tastes even better the next day for leftovers. Recipe is from our local Whole Food's Market.
Top Review by Bev
Very nice stew! I did wonder, however if the temperature given in step #1 was correctly given. I cooked on 225° (as specified) for three hours, as directed, but the meat was not tender and there were no sign of bubbles or heat. I increased the temperature to 350° and cooked for another 1 1/2 hours. The stew was finally served and it was very tasty. I served with bread and butter. Thanks, mermaidmagic!
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium onions, sliced into rounds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 can chicken broth
- 1 cup jarred or whole canned tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 12 tiny potatoes or 3 medium potatoes, cubed
- 1⁄2 lb baby carrots
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 225 degrees.
- In a large dutch oven/soup pot, warm oil over medium high heat.
- Add half of beef and season with salt and pepper.
- Brown beef on all sides then remove from pot.
- Brown remaining beef in pot, then remove and set aside.
- Saute onions until browned.
- Add garlic and peppercorns and saute a few minutes more.
- Add flour and toss to coat.
- Reduce heat to simmer.
- Add wine, chicken broth, tomatoes, bay leaves and browned meat.
- Stir to combine.
- Place pot in oven and cook for 1 hour.
- Add potatoes and carrots and return pot to oven for another 2 hours, or until beef is tender.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!