Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I found this recipe in a free Stop and Shop Publication. It sounded good and it was...I've changed a few things over the years but not too much, just enough to make it easier to make. I hope you enjoy it on a cold winter day just as much as we do! It is wonderful in a crusty bread bowl or with buttered biscuits(my hubbies favorite of course)!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped or minced
- 2 lbs stewing beef
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 6 cups beef stock or 6 cups beef broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 cup red wine or 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine
- 1 teaspoon dried powdered thyme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried dill
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 lb peeled baby carrots
- 1 (10 ounce) container baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 lbs diced russet potatoes or 2 lbs idaho potatoes
- In a large 6 quart stock pot saute onions and garlic in olive oil on medium heat.
- Place beef, flour, salt and pepper in a large ziplock bag and shake to coat.
- Add coated beef to the stock pot and stir to brown beef.
- Once beef is browned add stock, bay leaves, sugar, wine, thyme, parsley, dill, mustard and worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1 1/2 hours.
- Add carrots, mushrooms and potatoes, simmer for an additional 1/2 hour or until they are tender and ready to eat.
Delicious stew! I cut up some strip sirloin steaks as they had been in the frezer for a while. I also added "Bisto" to thicken the liquid at the end. The meat was very tender. I would have given 5 stars if my teen gave it a thumbs up. Unfortunately, as he says, "I don't do stew!"
This is now the only stew recipe I will use. The taste was excellent. I halved the recipe since I only had 1 pound of meat and there were no leftovers. I left out the mushrooms because the kids don't like them and substituted extra broth for the wine since I was out but other than that followed it exactly. It was so rich and hearty. Thank you for a great stew recipe Carrie!