Recipe by CaliforniaJan
This is family favorite sauce. It cooks on the stove a couple of hours and makes the kitchen smell delicious. It is thick and filling, just add a salad and slice of garlic bread for a complete meal. If I am in a rush, I use frozen chopped onion and fresh garlic in a jar. Note: you can vary the size cans of tomatoes and sauce to your taste.
Top Review by halo
We loved the addition of the beef consomme to the sauce it did give it a richer taste! I used ground turkey instead of beef and since I needed a shorter cooking time I didn't add any water to the sauce. This was easy and so delicious!!! Thank you Jan
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pinch oregano
- 3⁄4-1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4-1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add beef and mushrooms and saute. Drain fat.
- Add all seasonings and one to one and a half cans tomato sauce, paste and tomatoes and beef consume.
- Cook, covered over a slow flame for 2 hours. Add additional tomato sauce if needed to achieve the consistency and taste you desire. Serve with your favorite pasta to good appetites!