Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is family favorite sauce. It cooks on the stove a couple of hours and makes the kitchen smell delicious. It is thick and filling, just add a salad and slice of garlic bread for a complete meal. If I am in a rush, I use frozen chopped onion and fresh garlic in a jar. Note: you can vary the size cans of tomatoes and sauce to your taste.
- 1 onion, chopped fine
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 pinch oregano
- 3⁄4-1 lb ground beef
- 3⁄4-1 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 (14 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can beef consomme
- Saute onion and garlic in oil until soft.
- Add beef and mushrooms and saute. Drain fat.
- Add all seasonings and one to one and a half cans tomato sauce, paste and tomatoes and beef consume.
- Cook, covered over a slow flame for 2 hours. Add additional tomato sauce if needed to achieve the consistency and taste you desire. Serve with your favorite pasta to good appetites!
We loved the addition of the beef consomme to the sauce it did give it a richer taste! I used ground turkey instead of beef and since I needed a shorter cooking time I didn't add any water to the sauce. This was easy and so delicious!!! Thank you Jan
This is very good spaghetti sauce and it sure did make the kitchen smell wonderful. I would leave the consomme out next time (just a personal flavor preference). The sauce was a bit watery but without the consomme it should be thicker. Made for ZWT7 by one of the Vivacious Violets.
I love the taste of this spaghetti sauce. I used 1 small can of tomato paste. I used only 1 can of tomato sauce but I don't know how much ounces it was (maybe near 14). And used 1 tbs of beef granules with 1 cup water. It's delicious and easy. Thanks Jan. Made for 123 hit wonders.