Prep 1 hr
Cook 40 mins
One of my family's favorite soups.
- 2 lbs boneless beef top sirloin steaks, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 quarts hot water
- 2 cups carrots, sliced
- 2 cups peeled potatoes, cubed
- 1 cup cabbage, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 teaspoons beef bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups tomato juice
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, brown beef and onions in butter; drain.
- Add the water, vegetables and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add tomato juice; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until the beef and vegetables are tender.
- Discard bay leaves.