Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This soup is a meal in itself and a really great winter recipe.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 g chuck steaks, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g carrots, chopped coarsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1⁄2 liters beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 300 g washed new potatoes, peeled,coarsley chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream
- Place oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add meat and brown in batches.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Add onion and carrot to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until tender, then add garlic and cumin seeds and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Return meat to pan, add paprika and toss well for 3 minutes until beef is well coated.
- Add stock, bay leaves, thyme sprigs and tomato paste to the pan.
- Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
- Add more stock or liquid if necessary.
- Add potatoes and celery to soup and cook for another 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- Remove soup from heat and cool slightly.
- Fold through sour cream.
- Season to taste.
- Heat gently, garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.
- Note: If you prefer, serve sour cream on the side.