1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
This soup is a meal in itself and a really great winter recipe.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 500 g chuck steaks, cubed
- 1 onion, chopped
- 500 g carrots, chopped coarsley
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed
- 2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 1/2 liters beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme, plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons tomato puree
- 300 g washed new potatoes, peeled,coarsley chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 1Place oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add meat and brown in batches.
- 2Remove from pan and set aside.
- 3Add onion and carrot to the pan and cook for 5 minutes until tender, then add garlic and cumin seeds and cook for another 2 minutes.
- 4Return meat to pan, add paprika and toss well for 3 minutes until beef is well coated.
- 5Add stock, bay leaves, thyme sprigs and tomato paste to the pan.
- 6Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
- 7Add more stock or liquid if necessary.
- 8Add potatoes and celery to soup and cook for another 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
- 9Remove soup from heat and cool slightly.
- 10Fold through sour cream.
- 11Season to taste.
- 12Heat gently, garnish with thyme sprigs and serve.
- 13Note: If you prefer, serve sour cream on the side.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearty Beef and Vegetable Soup
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 405.1
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 63.1 mg
- Sodium 976.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 6.8 g
- Protein 21.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: