Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
From Taste Of Home
- 1 lb boneless beef sirloin, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 dash pepper
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking barley
- In a large nonstick saucepan, brown beef until juices evaporate, stirring often.
- Add mushrooms and garlic powder; cook until mushrooms are tender. Add broth, carrots, thyme and pepper.
- Bring to a boil. Stir in barley.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 20 minutes or until barley is tender.
This was tasty and easy. Tasted like it had cooked all day! I added 2 tbls. of dried onion flakes. Canned tomatoes or grean beans would be a good addition, also. Hit the spot on this dreary day (in summer, no less :( )
This recipe was good, and will probably become a recipe for weeknights. I did add an undrained can of diced tomatoes though, for my family's personal preference.