Prep 15 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This is a healthy hearty bean recipe that is a combination of a lot of others I read using what I had in the pantry. Great to fix and forget in the crock pot. Posted here for safekeeping. Calories calculated on serving six people...for me a serving is 4.5 ladles of soup.
- 2 cups dried great northern beans
- 2 quarts water
- 3 tablespoons chicken bouillon
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄2 lb turkey ham, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- salt and pepper
- Sort and soak beans overnight. Add 1 tsp baking soda to de-gas them if you like.
- Rinse the beans and put in crock pot with the 2 quarts water and all the other ingredients.
- Cover and cook desired number of hours.