Prep 8 hrs
Cook 9 hrs
This is a fantastic stew for vegetarians/vegans. Just make sure you have plenty of Beano available!
Make and share this Hearty Bean and Vegetable Stew recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb assorted dry beans
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup soy sauce
- 1⁄3 cup apple juice or 1⁄3 cup pineapple juice
- vegetable stock or water
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced
- 1⁄2 cup parsnip, diced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup mushroom, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon basil, dried
- 1 teaspoon parsley, dried
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, ground
- 1 cup rice or 1 cup pasta, cooked
- Sort and rinse beans, then soak overnight in water.
- Drain beans and place in crockpot.
- Add vegetable juice, wine, soy sauce, and apple or pineapple juice.
- Cover with vegetable stock or water; the amount added depends on whether you prefer a soup (more liquid) or a stew (less).
- The juice adds just a tad of sweetness and the soy sauce adds depth and the tang of salt.
- Cook at high for 2 hours.
- Add vegetables, herbs, and spices, and cook for 5-6 hours at low until carrots and parsnips are tender.
- When tender, add rice or pasta and cook for one additional hour.
- NOTES: For beans use 3 or 4 kinds, such as: black, red kidney, pinto, baby lima, lentil, and green and/or yellow split peas.
This filled my house with lovely smells all day long but in the end it just wasn't what we hoped for. None of us felt that the pasta was a good fit with the beans. When we heat the leftovers I expect the pasta will be very overdone. It would have been better served over rice I think. I used great northern, kidney and baby lima beans. I may try it again without the pasta.
Yep, this stew is hearty and makes a nice big amount. It will fill you up well, plus it's so inexpensive. It's so full of beans that it is almost "meaty." Honestly, it's not a very attractive-looking stew, but the flavor is great. I opted to use the pineapple juice and the vegetable broth. My assorted beans of choice were black beans, cranberry beans, and great northern beans. My pasta was whole grain rotini. Thanx for posting this great crockpot stew. I'll be making this on other future cold-weather days.