Recipe by mollypaul
A savory, satisfying casserole from the folks at the Barley Council.
Top Review by sugarpea
I expected to like this and wish I could give it a higher rating but this just wasn't palatable. Except for subbing olive oil for the butter I made no changes to the recipe. The curry was overwhelming.
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon curry powder (up to 1 Tablespoon, to taste)
- 1 lb fresh button mushroom, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup sliced almonds
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine or 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a medium, covered saucepan.
- Add barley and return to boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- In the meantime, melt butter in skillet.
- Add curry powder, mushrooms and onion.
- Sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until onion is translucent.
- Add mushroom-onion mixture to cooked barley along with remaining ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spoon into greased 2-quart casserole.
- Cover and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove cover and bake 5 minutes longer.