Recipe by Lennie
I typically use the tinned maple baked beans in this; if you use regular baked beans you may want to add an extra tbsp of brown sugar. This is great on a cold day.
Top Review by Tebo
I love beans and make them from "scratch" a lot and I still will. However, these beans are so easy to prepare and taste so good, they will be done on many occasions as well. It is correct to cover for the first hour of cooking. I think it would dry out with 2 hours of uncovered cooking.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 (14 ounce) cans pork and beans, or beans in tomato sauce if you prefer
- 1 (14 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery salt
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until crisp; remove and drain fat from skillet; crumble bacon and set aside.
- In the same skillet, brown the ground beef and onion; drain off any fat.
- Combine all ingredients in a casserole dish and bake for 2 hours; I keep it covered during the first hour, then remove the cover and stir, and leave the cover off for the last hour of cooking, although the original recipe did not specify this.