This recipe, which was adapted from Linda Fraser's collection of vegetarian recipes, is easy to make and freezes well. During the winter I eat it almost once a week.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1heat olive oil in large stock pot over medium heat.
- 2add diced onion to pot and saute for 3 minutes.
- 3add diced celery and carrot to onion and saute another 3 minutes.
- 4add lentils to pot and saute 1 minute.
- 5add tomatoes, stock, herbs, and pepper to pot.
- 6bring pot to a boil.
- 7lower heat to medium low and cover.
- 8simmer until lentils are cooked, approximately 25 or 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 9remove pot from heat, uncover, and allow contents to cool.
- 10using food processor or hand-held blender, puree approximately 1/2 the contents of the pot.
- 11return puree to pot, stir, and heat through.
- 12serve with crusty bread.
Browse Our Top Lentil Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Heartwarming Homemade Lentil Soup
Serving Size: 1 (218 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 196.6
- Calories from Fat 26
- Total Fat 2.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 267.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.7 g
- Sugars 7.0 g
- Protein 10.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
dried fine herbs