Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This recipe, which was adapted from Linda Fraser's collection of vegetarian recipes, is easy to make and freezes well. During the winter I eat it almost once a week.
- heat olive oil in large stock pot over medium heat.
- add diced onion to pot and saute for 3 minutes.
- add diced celery and carrot to onion and saute another 3 minutes.
- add lentils to pot and saute 1 minute.
- add tomatoes, stock, herbs, and pepper to pot.
- bring pot to a boil.
- lower heat to medium low and cover.
- simmer until lentils are cooked, approximately 25 or 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- remove pot from heat, uncover, and allow contents to cool.
- using food processor or hand-held blender, puree approximately 1/2 the contents of the pot.
- return puree to pot, stir, and heat through.
- serve with crusty bread.
This is a very traditional arabic soup. My sister in law uses this same recipe. I think it's an absolute treat. It's a very thick & hearty soup that's good as a light meal or as a starter. It's fast, easy & very tasty!!
Nice Easy Recipe,I addded Indian curry flavoured Tomatoes and a dash of Tabasco instead of plain and garnished it before serving with freshly chopped coriander.Absolutely delicious Thank you.