Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is probably our favorite fall salad. Nice flavor and texture with Washington apples and pecans. From Bon Appetit.
- 295.73 ml vegetable oil
- 78.07 ml cider vinegar
- 44.37 ml frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 29.58 ml red onions, minced
- 8.62 ml salt
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 2.46 ml ground ginger
- 1.23 ml pepper
- 236.59 ml red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 gala apples, peeled, cored, 1/4-inch dice
- 5 romaine lettuce hearts, halved lengthwise
- 177.44 ml pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in small bowl for dressing. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate. Rewhisk before using.).
- Place sliced onion in medium bowl. Cover with cold water; let stand 30 minutes. Drain well. Place 1/3 cup dressing in another medium bowl. Add apples; toss to coat.
- Trim off tips of romaine halves, leaving 5-inch lengths. Cut each romaine half lengthwise into 3 wedges. Fan wedges on large platter. Top with red onion slices. Drizzle salad with dressing, then sprinkle with apples and pecans.
Wow! My Mom loves salads and I'm always making new ones. I threw her a party for her 60th bday and this salad was a STAR! Everyone raved about how flavorful it was. I love, love, love making different salads and this one is definitely at the top of my list! Thanks for great addition to my collection!
I just loved the flavor of this combination of ingredients ~ loved the tart/sweet /spicy flavor of the dressing and the combo of veggies. I did not fan the lettuce as directed, but left the romaine in larger pieces than usual, and served the salad on a platter rather than on individual bowls. I also threw a little fresh grated Parmesan over top. Really LOVED this salad. Thanks for a new keeper lazyme. Made for CookaThon for lazyme, May 2009!