Recipe by lazyme
This is probably our favorite fall salad. Nice flavor and texture with Washington apples and pecans. From Bon Appetit.
Top Review by HollyMoon
Wow! My Mom loves salads and I'm always making new ones. I threw her a party for her 60th bday and this salad was a STAR! Everyone raved about how flavorful it was. I love, love, love making different salads and this one is definitely at the top of my list! Thanks for great addition to my collection!
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 1⁄3 cup cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons frozen apple juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons red onions, minced
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 gala apples, peeled, cored, 1/4-inch dice
- 5 romaine lettuce hearts, halved lengthwise
- 3⁄4 cup pecans, toasted and coarsely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Whisk first 8 ingredients in small bowl for dressing. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Refrigerate. Rewhisk before using.).
- Place sliced onion in medium bowl. Cover with cold water; let stand 30 minutes. Drain well. Place 1/3 cup dressing in another medium bowl. Add apples; toss to coat.
- Trim off tips of romaine halves, leaving 5-inch lengths. Cut each romaine half lengthwise into 3 wedges. Fan wedges on large platter. Top with red onion slices. Drizzle salad with dressing, then sprinkle with apples and pecans.