Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
Very easy to make and very delicious! Use quality ingredients. Substitute another variety of imported olives of your choice-nicoise, gaeta, etc. From Weekend Magazine, July/August 2006.
- 3 heads romaine lettuce
- 1⁄2 cup kalamata olive, pitted and cut in half
- 1⁄4 cup mizithra cheese, grated (my addition)
- 1 teaspoon anchovy paste
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (dark or white)
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a small non-reactive bowl whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients except for the oil.
- Slowly pour in the olive oil while whisking. Set dressing aside.
- Remove the root ends from each head of lettuce and cut the heads in half crosswise. Then cut the heads in three parts lengthwise.
- Arrange the slices neatly on a serving platter. Garnish with the Kalamata olives and spoon the vinaigrette over the salad.
- Sprinkle the myzithra cheese (if using) on top and serve. Add a sprinkle of cracked black pepper.
- Or cover and chill until ready to serve.
I really liked the simplicity of this salad. The salty mizithra cheese was perfect with the dressing. This was a really great start to my Valentine's Day dinner. Thanks.
The dressing for this salad is superb. I like how the balsamic added some richness to the saltiness of the anchovy paste. I had a huge head of romaine on hand instead of the hearts and didn't cut it as directed in the recipe. Instead, I just chopped enough leaves for our dinner salads. I also subbed parmesan for the mizithra, as I didn't have access to the required cheese.