Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
This can be served hot or cold. You can use a prepared pie crust or make your own using the recipe below.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces butter, chopped
- 1 ounce shortening
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 4 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 6 tablespoons very cold water
- 1 ounce butter
- 2 (14 ounce) cans hearts of palm, drained & cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped oregano
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1⁄2 pint half-and-half
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 13 ounces chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 2 hot red chili peppers, seeded & chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 pinch paprika
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- salt & pepper
- For Pastry: Sift flour w/ salt & cayenne pepper; Rub in butter & shortening until mixture resembles breadcrumbs; Stir in herbs & mix well.
- Add cold water and mix to a firm dough,first with knife, then with hand; Add more water, if necessary.
- Wrap and chill for 30 minutes before using; Heat oven to 400° F; Roll out pastry, line 11 inch flan ring or pie dish & chill. Bake pastry (prick & weigh down with wax paper & beans) 15 mins, then bake another 5 minutes Cool slightly, lower oven temp to 350.
- For filling: Melt butter, add hearts of palm, parsley & oregano & cook over medium heat 5 minutes; Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix eggs, yolks and 1/2 & 1/2; Season with salt & pepper. Spoon hearts of palm mixture onto pastry, sprinkle with cheese & pour liquid over top. Bake until set, 25 mins; Cool for 10 mins before transferring to serving dish.
- For sauce: Mix all ingredients in large sauce pan & gently bring to a boil; Season with salt & pepper, reduce heat & cook uncovered 30 minutes. Serve sauce warm (on the side).
- Serve hot or cold.
The pie was great, but a little on the long side to prepare. The sauce makes the dish...don't omit it or try to substitute with store brand sauce!