Hearts of Palm With Herb Pastry & Spicy Tomato Sauce
- For Pastry: Sift flour w/ salt & cayenne pepper; Rub in butter & shortening until mixture resembles breadcrumbs; Stir in herbs & mix well.
- Add cold water and mix to a firm dough,first with knife, then with hand; Add more water, if necessary.
- Wrap and chill for 30 minutes before using; Heat oven to 400° F; Roll out pastry, line 11 inch flan ring or pie dish & chill. Bake pastry (prick & weigh down with wax paper & beans) 15 mins, then bake another 5 minutes Cool slightly, lower oven temp to 350.
- For filling: Melt butter, add hearts of palm, parsley & oregano & cook over medium heat 5 minutes; Set aside to cool slightly.
- Mix eggs, yolks and 1/2 & 1/2; Season with salt & pepper. Spoon hearts of palm mixture onto pastry, sprinkle with cheese & pour liquid over top. Bake until set, 25 mins; Cool for 10 mins before transferring to serving dish.
- For sauce: Mix all ingredients in large sauce pan & gently bring to a boil; Season with salt & pepper, reduce heat & cook uncovered 30 minutes. Serve sauce warm (on the side).
- Serve hot or cold.