Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a Costa Rican salad that I enjoy very much. Use fresh shaved Parmesan not prepared grated.
- 396.89 g can hearts of palm, drained & rinsed
- 2 medium tomatoes, seeded & chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 green onions, chopped (use white & green parts)
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper (Use fresh cracked pepper)
- 56.69 g parmesan cheese, freshly shaved
- 29.58 ml fresh basil, chopped
- Cut the hearts of palm into 1/2" wide pieces Combine all but the parmesan ingredients in a large bowl.
- toss and allow to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes allowing the flavors to blend Serve with shavings of Parmesan on top of the salad.
I live in Ecuador and my husband is the quality control manager at a factory that makes canned goods.....including hearts of palm. He started bringing home cans of the stuff a few months ago, but I had no idea what to do with it. I've tried a few recipes, but wasn't convinced that I liked "palmito" until I found this salad! I had it over mixed greens with a couple of hard boiled eggs---filling, tasty and really healthy! Thanks for this!
This was good, really good! I certainly picked a winner to try here! Didn't change a thing, not one thing, and that's probably a first for me, I change every recipe, including my own. On my last trip to the States I bought a Microplane ribbon grater, and I had these large, lovely, yummy shavings of Parmesan resting on my hearts of palm. So easy, so impressive, so yummy!
Well... I screwed up the recipe but it was still amazing! I was short a tomato so I used an avocado in place of it. And I forgot all about the shaved parmesan on top. Yet, the salad was still really delicious. Now that's a great recipe! This is a salad with attitude - and we loved it!