Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
This was inspired by two other wonderful hearts of palm recipes: Ensalada De Palmitos (Hearts of Palm Salad) and Avocado Salad With Hearts of Palm. It's great smooth and creamy or chunky with the tomatoes and onion added. If you like heat add a minced jalapeno or cayenne pepper. It tastes close to regular guacamole but is healthier. Hearts of palm are full of nutrients and low calorie.
- 1 (14 ounce) can hearts of palm, drained
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 cup cilantro, packed
- 2 -3 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 avocados
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, more to taste
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt, more to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper, more to taste
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, chopped (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup tomatoes, chopped (optional)
- jalapenos (if heat is desired) or cayenne pepper, to taste (if heat is desired)
- Place hearts of palm, cilantro, minced garlic, lemon juice and olive oil in a medium bowl.
- Use an immersion blender to puree. A food processor or blender could be used also.
- Mash the avocados into the puree mix with the back of a fork.
- Stir in spices.
- Stir in tomato and onion and jalapeno or cayenne if desired.
- Use it just as you would regular guacamole.
As my husband proclaimed,"This is a 10 star", I worried that I might have to take him to the hospital. He had eaten 2/3 of the bowl so essentially two full avocados! Yikes! I used all of the ingredients - including the optional ones - with lots of cumin and chopped jalapenos. While I followed the ingredients exactly I did not follow the instructions; I prefer an overall chunky texture so didn't use a blender to puree it, and think hearts of palm have more texture than flavor so left them in large slivered pieces. Next time I'll need to ration this like green gold because it's fantastic - essentially a superb guacamole recipe with the unique addition of the hearts of palm.
This was really good. Though we love hearts of palm, I might cut back on the amount next time, along with the pepper. It's different, but really quite nice.
Delicious guacamole! I love hearts of palm and enjoyed using it in this recipe. I halved the recipe. Thanks!