1/2 Photos of Hearts Delight Eclair - Made With Puff Pastry Sheets
Lady Dancer's Note:
Originally found in Taste of Home magazine, listed as a "runner up" in one of their contests. Submited by Lorene Milligan of Chemainus, British Columbia. As a surprise for a good friend, it was a part of a carry in meal I prepared for her and her family for her birthday and has been requested over and over by everyone who has tried it since. Today I do not cut into a heart shape but instead leave it as a square (to get it to go as far as I can!) Ready made puff pastry sheets make this a breeze to prepare and the appearance is VERY elegant! A real show-stopper!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 489.02 g frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 709.77 ml cold milk
- 145.14 g package vanilla instant pudding mix
- 473.18 ml whipping cream
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract, divided
- 236.59 ml confectioners' sugar
- 29.58-44.37 ml water (to spreading consistency)
- 1.23-2.46 ml almond extract (to taste, we like 1/2)
- 118.29 ml semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4.92 ml shortening
- 1On a lightly floured surface, roll each puff pastry sheet into a 12 inch square.
- 2Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- 3(Original recipe calls for: "Using an 11 inch heart pattern, cut each pastry into a heart shape" - either way works well).
- 4Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. (Do not underbake - it's a good idea to check your oven temperature. If underbaked, the pastry will fall.).
- 5Remove to wire rack to cool.
- 6Meanwhile, whisk milk and pudding mix until thickened, 1-2 minutes.
- 7In a mixing bowl, beat cream and 1/2 t vanilla until stiff peaks form. Carefully fold into pudding until consistent color but do not over stir.
- 8Split puff pastry sheets horizontally with a serrated knife.
- 9Place one layer on a serving plate and top with 1/3 of the pudding mixture.
- 10Repeat twice.
- 11Top with remaining pastry.
- 12In a small bowl combine confectioners sugar, water, almond extract and remaining vanilla and stir until smooth. (If necessary you can use a few drops more water if you find it difficult to spread but do not thin too much or you lose the white color which adds to its appearance).
- 13Carefully spread over top of dessert.
- 14Melt chocolate chips and shortening. Pipe in diagonal lines in one direction over frosting (if you don't have tips for piping, place in a plastic zip lock baggie,seal the bag and cut a small piece off the corner of the baggie to do the piping).
- 15Refrigerate until set - (remove from fridge about 15-20 minutes before serving to soften the top for easy cutting)
- 16This holds well overnight but we never seem to have any leftovers to keep any longer than that!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Hearts Delight Eclair - Made With Puff Pastry Sheets
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 522.8
- Calories from Fat 314
- Total Fat 34.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.8 g
- Cholesterol 62.8 mg
- Sodium 321.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.0 g
- Sugars 25.2 g
- Protein 6.0 g