Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
This is a side dish that I have not tried yet, but it looks so good. It makes 6 side servings but it you could easily add cooked chicken to it to make it a main dish for 4.
- 3 cups red potatoes, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 (16 ounce) packagefrozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrot medley
- 3 tablespoons butter or 3 tablespoons margarine, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (12 fluid ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup seasoned dry bread crumb
- PREHEAT oven to 350º F.
- MICROWAVE potatoes and water in covered, medium, microwave-safe casserole dish on HIGH (100%) power for 9 minutes; drain. Return to dish; top with frozen vegetables.
- MELT 2 tablespoons butter in small saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour; cook, stirring constantly, for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in evaporated milk, bouillon and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes or until bouillon is dissolved and sauce is slightly thickened. Pour sauce over vegetables.
- MICROWAVE remaining butter in small, microwave-safe bowl on HIGH (100%) power for 10 to 20 seconds or until melted. Stir in bread crumbs until well combined. Sprinkle over vegetables; cover.
- BAKE for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake for an additional 10 minutes or until top is golden brown.
This worked well for my family. I added garlic like a previous reviewer suggested, and I thought it was a good addition. Maybe next time I'll try adding cheese as also was suggested. So many possibilities! But all in all, this is a very tasty dish that goes together really quickly. And my kids loved it as much as DH and I loved it. Made for Kid Friendly tag game Jan 2009.
Made for PAC Spring 08 This was really good! I would add a little salt, garlic and cheese next time. It has a sweet taste, it was really good though. I really loved the bread crumb top. My camera was not working right so I don't think I will post that picture. Did enjoy this and will make again, thanks!