Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. I lkie this recipe because it reminds me of hash that I've come to love, especially for breakfast. And since I first heard of the Philly steak sandwich, which I have never tasted the authentic Philly, I learned how to make my version of the Philly a few years ago. Plus I'm a meat and potatoes and cheese lover, so this dish is perfect for me!
- Remove steaks from freezer and let thaw for at least an hour. The meat will be a lot easier to cut thin if partially frozen. To prepare steak, using a very sharp knife, cut steak at an angle into thin slices and then chop again into smaller pieces, sort of like stir-fry but smaller. Set aside for later use.
- Rinse red bell pepper, and cut into a coarse dice. Peel onion and chop into a coarse dice. Set aside.
- Prepare hash browns according to package directions, except break hash browns up rather than make into a patty. You want them to be nice and brown. When hash browns are done, remove from skillet and set aside.
- Add a tad bit of oil to the same non-stick skillet used to cook the potatoes. Sauté the chopped red pepper and onion together for 2-3 minutes or until the onion starts to caramelize. Add the chopped steak to skillet and continue to stir-fry until done, about 4-5 minute more. Return hash browns to skillet with meat, onions, and peppers and toss together over low heat until well incorporated.
- Remove lid from Cheez Whiz jar and heat in microwave for 45 seconds. Pour about half of the Cheese Whiz over steak and potatoes. Serve immediately.
- Recipe makes 4 – 6 servings.
I love Philly Cheese Steak and potatoes, so mixing them together makes a great meal for me.