Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Very quick to put together and my family liked it. Adapted from Desperation Dinners by Beverly Mills and Alicia Ross.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs ground beef (leaner is better)
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped bell pepper
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 2 1⁄4 cups instant rice
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add the oil; let heat for a minute or two.
- Add in chopped onion.
- Add in ground beef and increase heat to high.
- Add in the garlic, pepper, and mushrooms.
- Stir/saute (break up ground beef as you stir).
- Add in the bell pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Continue to stir/saute until the meat is no longer pink.
- When the meat is browned, add in the beef broth, mushroom soup, and rice; stir to combine.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Boil for about 5 minutes or until the rice is tender and has absorbed most of the broth; stir occasionally but keep the skillet covered as much as possible.
- Add salt to taste.
- Sprinkle cheese over the top; cover and cook 1-2 minutes longer or until the cheese melts.
- Serve immediately.
All around good meal... thanks for posting!! Cheers
Very tasty and my family really likes it. As said in the Desperation Dinners cookbook...this will go together in about 20 minutes if you are really quick about it! Makes alot!