Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This is a "whatever you want" recipe. It will make either two loaves of Italian bread, or four medium pizzas, or eight 6" Pita breads. Or you can do a variety. It is very good. Have fun!
- 2 cups warm water (about 118-120 degrees or wrist warm)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 1⁄2-6 1⁄2 cups flour
- Mix warm water, sugar and yeast together to proof (to become frothy).
- Add salt and butter or oil.
- Add flour to make a good dough.
- Knead for 10 minutes.
- Put in oiled bowl and let rise till double.
- Make either 2 Italian loaves, or pat out your 4 medium pizzas, or 8 6"x1/8" Pitas.
- ITALIAN BREAD--Form and rise again till double; slash and bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- PIZZA--Bake at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- PITAS--Form into 8 6"x1/8" rounds; rise for 15 minutes; bake 500 degrees for l minute on the lowest rack of oven, and 3-7 minutes on a higher rack.
I can't believe I haven't rated this yet! This is now our go-to recipe for just about ANY bread-like object. Easy, relatively fast, and delicious, you can do anything with it! I pass this recipe out left and right, and I just adore it. Thank you, Mimi in Maine!